Illustrating breathtaking views of and from La Citadelle Laferrière, a beautiful castle on the northern part of Haiti, Jason Derulo (whose real name is Jason Joel Desrouleaux), released the official music video for “Colors,” Coca-Cola’s anthem for the FIFA World Cup this summer. With shots also from Derulo’s hometown in Miami, Florida, the video’s intent is to bring individuals together from around the world to celebrate their respective flags and nationalities. A guitar-strumming Wyclef Jean, also of Haitian descent, also represents his “colors” in a cameo as well.
Derulo said of the song that, “Through my years of travel, I’ve been able to see the beauty in our cultural differences and I wrote Colors to celebrate that diversity and be a part of the amazing energy that sports fans around the world give to their teams.”
“There’s beauty in the unity we’ve found.We’re inundated everyday with negative news and it’s hard to remain positive… That’s why it’s more important than ever to unite with people in your community to try and make a difference. As a Haitian-American, I’ve become more and more invested in giving back to where my family is from. To that extent, this song is a bit of a launch of plans that I am excited to reveal soon…”
IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW…
If you aren’t very familiar with Jason Derulo, here are some cool facts:
- He is a multi-platinum powerhouse who has generated over 9 billion audio streams.
- His breakout single “Talk Dirty” [feat. 2 Chainz] has reached 7-times platinum status
- Want To Want Me” and “Wiggle” [feat. Snoop Dogg] went quadruple-platinum.
- “Trumpets,” “Ridin’ Solo,” and “In My Head” went triple-platinum
- “Swalla,” “Marry Me,” and “It Girl” earned double-platinum certifications.
- Platinum singles include “The Other Side,” “Get Ugly,” and “Don’t Wanna Go Home.”
- Cumulative streams continue to soar, exceeding 9 billion overall and nearly 5 billion YouTube view
- At radio, his music has impacted 20 billion-plus listeners with a staggering 3.5 billion spins.
- Derulo was also a featured performer for the Monday Night Football theme
- His clothing line LVL XIII launched in Bloomingdales last Fall
- He has a label in partnership with Warner Bros. Records and a publishing deal with Warner/Chappell Music.
- He is an investor in many enterprises, including Catch L.A. and Rumble Boxing with Sylvester Stallone and Ashton Kutcher.
By: Tammy for Haitiville.com | April 13, 2018
(Photos from “Colors” music video)