Pikliz (also known as Haitian Spicy Pickled Vegetables)
About 2 quarts
- Cabbage, shredded — 1/2 head
- Carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces or grated — 2
- Onion, thinly sliced — 1
- Scotch bonnet peppers — 2 to 6
- Garlic cloves — 4 to 6
- Salt — 2 teaspoons
- Peppercorns — 8 to 10
- White or cane vinegar — 3 cups
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and toss well to mix. Place all of the vegetables into a clean 2-quart glass jar. Pour in enough vinegar to cover the vegetables, tamping them down to remove any air bubbles.
- Store the pikliz in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator for a month or two.
- Other Possible Additions: Sliced bell peppers, Serrano or jalapeno peppers, chopped green tomatoes, chopped cauliflower, peas.